Thursday, October 18, 2007

I'm the only one sane on the wreak - Week 2


Sorry, rip off from pantomime I went to see a couple of years ago, the line was I'm the only one saved from the wreak (or if you were the Dame, I'm the only wreak saved from the ship). Chosen as my title because I was the only sober one last night at the post-LANMA gathering at the pub.

The idea for the logo comes from something the guest lecturer was talking about, you remember? The suits of Gamers? Hearts, Clubs, Diamonds and Spades?

Hearts were social players, Clubs were PKers, Teamkillers and dipshits, Diamonds are the ones who play the game to win, whle the Spades are the game exploeres and sometimes (not nessesserily always), the ones who have to find ways of cheating and/or pushing the game to a new level to see what the can exploite.

Guess which two suits I belong to.

Also do you remember the phrase Aporia and Epiphany?

I love the face that Aporia means impass, and aporas, (which I made up and is my blog name) is Anne's page of running andd screaming....

Anyway, the task...

"Creativity (or creativeness) is a mental process involving the generation of new ideas or concepts, or new associations between existing ideas or concepts." - Wikipedia

Last week Mike showed us a lecture/speech/etc from Sir Ken Robertson on does creativity get educated out of us.

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/66

Suprisingly for a guy who works in education, his answer was in fact yes.

And I have to agree.

When we're in school, all teachers think about is the 'academic' classes, like Maths and English and the Sciences, Humanities, Languages and any other classes are volentary after SATS and you don't always get a choice which ones of those you want to do.

I remember being forced into taking French because I was in top set in the lower years and I really wanted to take Spanish.

And I remember my teachers being unimpressed by my choice to take ND Art and Design at college, they all thought I'd go into something like the sciences or geography.

But I chose Geography because for a long time I wanted to do Game Art as a career, but have a fall back on archeology (Preferably Egyptology). Something that fell apart later on down the line.
The only time in my school that art and music and drama was appricicated were the exhibitions, the school musicals, the Music Festival (Picked four out of five years and only not the fifth because I promised to do it with some others and wouldn't drop them to do it alone) but any other time, for you to go and skip an acedemic class to go to practise or rehearsls and well... can anyone else say shitty teacher alert?

The whole thing is, there are many forms of creativity.

I personally, am a big fan of singing and drawing. I can't dance to save my life but I love to sing, it doesn't matter where or when I am, I will sing along to anything. It's something that helps me think andrelax and just generally get things done better.

Others love to dance and can't stay still for more then two seconds, and instead of bing recognised as people who have to move to think, they're penalised and or sent to the doctor to be prescribed drugs...

Gah.

Another thing is that creativity can be found in anything, I have friends who like the patterns in numbers, the written word is another one where creativity can flow.

I'm going back to music because it's a referance I know Mike and a couple of others have heard, but I've got a friend in America who is studying music in an American 'College'. Up until this point, she was always glared and shuted at for writting her own stuff, and she hated it, now she's able to play how and when she wants to, and she can't get enough. That's a classic example if ever I saw on, of creativity being drained from people.

I sometimes wonder if teachers in schools are jelous of students who are talented in a non acedemic field, because for those who aren't, a lot of work has to be done to keep up with the naturally talented students.

BTW I am now offical Podcaster for Game Art Guest Lectures. (Once I work out how to do it...) So I've spent most of the night converting the sound files from my recorder to MP3s, while reading and thinking about creativity. Gah.

Anyway, I'm sleepy and I don't have admin powers for the Podcast on the Blackboard so I'm going to have to work out where to put the files so I can podcast them.

But not until the morning when I've had some sleep.

Night guys.

Joey

-------------------------------------



Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This message was brought to you by the Eggman Empire, which is not responcible for it's contents, except this part... *BOOM!*

No comments: