Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Cardcaptors, Gigadeath, Virtual Gods and Leeroy Jenkins.

(Clow Card pictures from http://www.robertsetiadi.or.id/anm/ccsakura/ccsakura_deck1.htm)

It's been a long time since I first watched Cardcaptors, and now, as I sat there on the weekend, considering cosplays and lookng through Ebay, I found a set of Clow Cards, plus book, for 99p.

What a steal...

So I signed up to Ebay and bid on them, deciding, because the auction still had four or five days to run, that I would set my maximum bid at the highest price I was willing to pay for a Cosplay accessory that wasn't brand new.

Now, with only one day let to run, I am winning at £11 pounds.

Is anyone suprised that out of the fifty-two, my favourates are The Fight and The Dark?

Ok on to talking about something course lelated as opposed to the stuff I've been writting about over the Summer. (Amecon was amazing but I have to talk about something else sometime)

The first week back and on Monday I honestly thought I was in trouble.

With the threat of twelve hours self directed study for Drawing looming, teamed with 3D classes, guest lectures and out of class time to work on oher such projects, I was seriously wondering if I would have to give up work.

However, I was stil able to enjoy most of Monday, even if I was a bit of a wreak at the end of the day, having been trying to contemptlate how I was going to survive, paying the bills, buying food, plus attempting to curb my impulse buys (I bought a Wii and a 360 in the space of a month, you all know how bad I am).

This is where the Gigadeath part of my title comes in. I understand that there could be a war over technology, in fact it wouldn't suprise me, but Hugo de Garis, the expert who used the term Gigadeath had us all in giggles.

The implications of the word itself is not funny, and people who are afriad of the implications of Technology can be extremly dangerous, as demonstrated by Theodore Kaczynski aka the Unabomber.

"Theodore John Kaczynski (born May 22, 1942), also known as the Unabomber, is an American terrorist and social critic who carried out a campaign of mail bombings that killed three and wounded 23. He sent bombs to several universities and airlines from the late 1970s through early 1990s.

In his Industrial Society and Its Future (commonly called the "Unabomber Manifesto") he argued that his actions were a necessary (although extreme) tactic by which to attract attention to what he believed were the dangers of modern technology. The Unabomber was the target of one of the most expensive investigations in the FBI's history.

For his actions, Kaczynski was charged with numerous federal offenses stemming from his mail bombing campaign. In his April 24, 1995 letter to the New York Times, he promised "to desist from terrorism." To avoid the death penalty, Kaczynski entered into a plea agreement, under which he pled guilty and was sentenced to life in prison with no possibility of parole.

Kaczynski's moniker as the Unabomber developed as a result of an FBI codename. Before his real identity was known, the FBI used the handle "UNABOM" ("university and airline bomber"), which resulted in variants such as Unabomer, Unibomber, and Unabomber when the media started using the name."


(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unabomber)

From this you can see that fear of technology can be as dangerous as the technology itself sometimes.

However, coming back to Gigadeath, the funny side of it was that it sounded like a term you'd find in a game, and that Hugo de Garis actually managed to say it with a straight face.

It strange what you find funny sometimes...

Another term I've heard thrown around a lot in the last couple of days, is the term Virtual Gods.

Because of the way computer games are now, we're not just creating charcaters and backdrops and scenery for a game, we're creating an entire world.

We have a Godlike power to add and to take away from this world, and to decded how it looks, how things react, how the world interacts with our avatars... and as such we have a responcibility to make that world as acurrate in feel and in style as possible.

And if the boys are Virtual Gods, does that make us Female Game Art Students Virtual Godesses?

And finally who the hell put me on the case of Leeroy Jenkins?

I'm sure you World of Warcraft fans out there know who I'm talking about.



LEEEEEEEEEROY JENKINS!!!!!!!!!!

Hehe. Why do I see me doing that by accident at some point?

JOOOOEEEY LAWRENCE!!!!!

Doesn't have quite the same ring to it does it?

Anyway, on that thought, I'll leave you to get back to sanity.

Joey Anne Lawrence

----------------------------------------------

"This message was brought to you by the Eggman Empire which is not responcible for it's contents, except this part..." *BOOM*

1 comment:

Nashira said...

I have those cards too! =D

Unfortunately mine cost £20 from Worlds Apart a few years ago. ;_;