Monday, January 29, 2007

Week 17 -- Game Engines

All hail the hypnotoad.... - Futurama :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

As far as I can tell, Games Engines are what makes the game work, as the graphics will come out wrong if there is a fault and things will end up miles from where they're supposed to...

Wikipedia says that - "The term "game engine" arose in the mid-1990s, especially in connection with 3D games such as first-person shooters (FPS). (See also: first person shooter engine). Such was the popularity of id Software's Doom and Quake games that, rather than work from scratch, other developers licensed the core portions of the software and designed their own graphics, characters, weapons and levels—the "game content" or "game assets."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_engine

In other words, they used game engines to make creating games easier, and though I haven't yet worked out how much easier it makes it, I'm guessing that since it allows the Game Art and everything else to happen in one space it makes things a hell of a lot easier, allowing Games to be run on many platforms, for example the PS2, the Xbox360, and the Gamecube (though I much prefer the Wii, which I own muahahahaha!)

Game Engines help reduce time and money, which in the Games Industry means a lot, though the licencing of such technology has become very, very expensive indeed, with it ranging from $10,000 to $3,750,000 (Warcraft III), and the Unreal Engine has become very popular, as well as highly sought after and highly priced.

Games Engines are also the reason for strong separation from other types of games design, artists make up 4/5 of a team in a typical game.

It is also sometimes known as Middleware, because it is like a middle man for helping to create games.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a weird note,

I wonder what sort of Game Engine you would need for the game me and my friends were talking about not that long ago, a Pokemon MMOG, imagine the fun and games that would be, and the expansions that would be released everytime they came up with new pokemon, it would be interesting and cool.

However I wonder, would they do it turn based or RTB? And would they let Trainers fight each other, or make the fatal mistake of making it non PK, well I suppose in a Pokemon game it wouldn't strictly be PK, but it could well be Trainer battles for real players instead of just against the NPC, there are only so mnay ways a computer can use a set of pokemon before you know thier moves inside out back to front and upside down.

And what pokemon would you start with, would you have to start with one of the Starters, Charmander, Squirtal, Bulbasaur, Cyndaquil, Totodile, Chikorita, Torchic, Mudkip or Treekco? Or would you have other ways of getting your starter, and how would it be decided? Cause I'd really like either a Charmander or a Vulpix...

And... wow, I've just realised I've put too much tought into this.

But an MMOG would be a facinating way of moving the pokemon world forward, not that Battle Revolution looks absolutly fantastic, just... I have to wonder, ya know?

Oh and final note to self, buy Battle for Middle Earth 2, I'm fed up of getting my ass handed to me because I don't play enough real time stratagy games...

Goodnight,

Joey

No comments: