Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Posting... and Week 18 - Game Technology - Sound for Games

I just realised how much blogging I've done since I got back...

Towards the end of last term, my blogs were dying out slowly, with the last one before Christmas being where I wanted to burninate Square Enix for thier shitty work on Final Fantasy X, on the 13/12/06.

Since then, there was a blog on the 5/1/07, then another one on the 12/1/07 when I offically became a Semi-Finalist for Miss Leicester... I still haven't found a sponcer...

Then I postsed on the 15/1,twice... Week I'm not sure which, 12 I think - Returning to DeMontfort is about my thoughts and feelings about Leicester and the course btw Doc, which is what you asked for for the end of last term.

Then on the 16/1 I became a mouse tree... don't ask...

18/1 I started thinking with portals...

23/1 was my week 15 task... ok, ok there was a five day delay there... good, I'm not becoming obsessed... oh... I did week 16 there too... and Yami's smirk of doom...

It snowed on the 26/1 and I blogged about it at a rediculously early hour of the 27/1...

The 29/1 was Week 17's blog...

30/1 was all about my Wii and my Xbox 360 and a scary webcam picture... and items built by me in uni... and Call of Duty...

And today, the 31/1 I rediscovered Nightmare City and am writting this blog...

Oh my Ra...

I am obsessed again.

Well at least I'm doing my work...

Now should I do my task now while I'm thinking about it?

K. Getting on with it...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sound in games is blatently important, have you ever noticed that the better Call of Duty players often are wearing headphones so they can hear what's coming or so it doesn't give away thier position? It's similar on Battle for Middle Earth, headphones in to listen to the amazing music and so the other can't hear whjat army you're building or wheather you've just got something like Eagles or Fell Beasts... or worse, if they've found Golum and the damn Ring.

Koji Kondo is possibly one of my favourate composers, since he have basically composed or at least worked on the music for every Legend of Zelda game, and I think all of the songs for Ocarina of Time are some of my all time favourate game sounds ever, especally you know... da, da, da, da!!!! Meh, it's not as cool without the sound... You all know the sound I mean...

Also the music from Kingdom Hearts is great I think, I have the soundtrack on my laptop :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_game_music (Stupid blogger won't let me link)

Gives a lot of the background history of Computer Game Music, about how it's developed and how it is done now, compaired to how it used to be done.

It tells how once the musicians for a game needed to know how to program and everything to be able to music in games, now music is being played at the quailty as CDs, and possibly if I dare to say it, slightly higher.

I think one of my key moments where the music of a game lead me to keep playing was... you know... I can't think of my first time... but the music creates the mood, you could say have FFIX's battle music with say the scene in the game where *SPOILER*
Garnet sees Zidane for the first time after they've saved the world, after thinking he died trying to save Kuja, his 'kind-of-brother.' The mood would be spoiled and everyone would be expecting trouble to break out.

I think the music in Ocarina of Time and Final Fantasy VIII are probably some of my faves, though if you look on my Ipod, I have the entire Kingdom Hearts Soundtrack, as well as songs from FFIX, FFVIII, FFX, and even a couple from the much hated FFX2, <--- swearword. However I do like the two songs... unfortunatly the music was unable to save the game from the sheer shittiness of the game. I do wish I had more Ocarina of Time music, but a collegue of mine who had the entire Legend of Zelda Music Collection, which came up to about 90 odd songs forgot to let me rip them off the CDs before I came to Leicester. :(

Ummm, ok, I think that's it...

Sorry for the randomness at the start,

And probably see you soon...

Joey.

P.S. Twilight Princess on my Wii is fantastic :D - Copyright Press Start To Play

No comments: