Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Week 16 - Gaming Cultures

Gaming culture is a very wide subject, after all I don't suppose that I belong to the same culture as some of my classmates, for example, while I could possibly fit into the white female category, I suppose I belong to a whole different culture which would be the gay white female culture, and then do I belong to gay white female RPG fan culture?

Something I have learnt that this university, it's the people of all different shapes, sizes, genders, preferences, all love games just as much, if not more so, as I do.

Playing computer games can no longer be seen something that people who like to hide in their bedrooms never see the light of day do for fun. For example I have been computer games of the quite a long time but then I've always enjoyed going out and having a game of football as well, in fact football is one of the things, in fact no the only thing I miss from my senior school.

Gamers cultures and game playing, I suppose pretty much dominates my life, any one of my friends on the course can testify, as my room is pretty much constantly a tip, however you can always get my laptop and my consoles.

I used to play on online wargames, belonging to Fenrir Alliance, and at one point being one of their top members, however once I got my final major project for college, I felt I could not do my alliance justice and dropped out of the game, although at the time I didn't realise it would be a pretty much permanent decision.

Andy aka Raven, Jamie aka Laser and Robert aka Strike will all people who were also top members of Fenrir Alliance, and though I do not speak to them as much anymore, I do sometimes talk to them to find out how the alliance is getting on.

Yamita, who was me, was quite possibly one of only eight girls in the Fenrir Alliance, and to start with it was admittedly hard to get the respect of the others members of the Alliance. I suppose it's because it's a different culture to to the one I am used to.

I know for a fact, I belong to the fanfiction culture, as I've been writing for over a year now, and do not have the single story that has not been read less than 200 times and some of which have been read over 3000 times. Not to mention the 50 odd reviews of an unfinished story.

Games culture is a hard thing to talk about, there were so many different types of cultures in gamers, that it's pretty much impossible to be able to describe all of them.

I guess that's it from me this week, well until Wednesday that this,

So this is Joey signing off.

"If you want to get to the King of games, you'll have to go through me, the uhhh... Godfather of games, capshe?" (Joey Wheeler, Yu-Gi-Oh! The Movie.)

No comments: