Monday, October 30, 2006

Week 4 - A history of computer games, part 3, 2000 - the future...

I've read the information on platforms of the future and I have to say that the future of games looks bright except for a couple of problems.

One thing that really caught my attention was the sharp rise in the cost of games development, I guess that with an increase in Game Quaility, comes an increase in Game Deevlopment Cost, but a rise as sharp as that has pushed the prices of games up as well, for example, a version of pac-man was released in 1982 by Atari, and cost $100,000 to develop and sold for $30 a piece. However when Halo 2 was released in 2004, it cost over $40 million to develop and though it's a record sales game, costs $50 a piece.

See where my worry lies?

The way things are going, it's going to cost people a rediculous amount of money to buy consoles and games, for example, the PS2, when released is going to cost £450 at least, a lot of the gaming population cannot afford it right off the mat, and will have to wait for the price to drop considerably.

However I am rather glad of the drop in sequals of games, since very few games sequals are as good as the original, for example, Final Fantasy X2 was one of the biggest mistakes ever made, and yet Final Fantasy X was quite a good game.

The idea of games that span over many platforms, is a really good idea, I feel. Because it is not always possible to own all the consoles, and if you like the look of a game, you are more likey to buy it if it's on a platform you like, for example, I like the look of some of the XBox games however because I do not own an XBox, I cannot buy these games, and it is pointless to buy a console to only play one or two games on it.

Looking at the HDR video webpage I have to agree that graphics shown in that format are about a zillion times better as my best friend back home has a HDR tv and things shown on it are amazing. And I also agree with Shin'ichi Okamoto, who is quoted on the webpage, http://news.com.com/2100-1040-866288.html, as saying "Moore's Law is too slow for us, we can't wait 20 years to achieve a 1,000-fold increase in PlayStation performance." If they did, gamers would get impatient and go to rival games companies for new games.

Games of the future should be original, and it is no good sacrificing game play for graphics, which is what has happened in quite a few games recently, in the furture I'd like to see more fanatasy/action games with decent storylines, and less of the lets see how many people we can run over/kill for no reason games. And what the hell is going on with a game I saw relaesed recently where you have to bully your way to the top at a school? That's not good games, that's people coming up with crap and trying to sell it.

It's a long way off in the future but I would love Virtual Reality games, that you could play 3D or like you see in Sci-Fi films and shows, with you plugged in so you hear, smell, taste ect the game you're playing that would be awesome.

However until VR is reality I vote for more fantasy and action and puzzle games with storylines to be played on any format and I really would like games I like for the Wii's really weird controllers!!! :)

And ouch I've just got my phone bill... £85.53 ow ow ow ow ow, note to self, do not use phone as much.... owey!!!!!!

So this is Joey signing off and thinking ouch!

No comments: