Sunday, October 15, 2006

Week 2 - A history of games - Part one 1950's - 1970's... Pong...


The idea of computer and video games orginally came from a young, male engineer, who wanted to introduce the idea of playing games on TV. I somehow doubt that he ever thought it would grow this big. :) This was back in 1951, however the first true vidoe game that was played on a screen wasn't created until the year 1952, when a man, who'd just finished his PhD created a game of tic tac toe to play agianst the computer, which the reading material says used "special algorithms to win whenever possible" (http://www.pong-story.com/) Could this have been the first example of a Computer cheating to win? Many games seem to do nowadays, no matter how much thier designers claim otherwise.

The men who started designing games were all smart and intelligent people, which to me proves that games designers must use thier brains, also they worked as enginners or computer experts, showing a knowledge of computers is nessessary.

However reading thier information I began to wonder if I was the only person to own an Atari?


There was a lot of talk about Pong, which I remember playing as my first computer game because my dad had this ancient machine that you plugged into the Tv and you could play games.

I was only about five and I was scared of computer/video games, weird huh? Now I'm not sure if I was scared of the games or dad's shouting when it cheated again.

But I started to love games when my parents bought an Atari. I wonder if anyone remembers Dizzy, the egg, that had all that trouble with the Wizard, Zacks, that had to be one of my favourates, escpecaly when it was relased for the Master System, or was it the Mega Drive? Not sure, but between it and Sonic the Hedgehog, I grew to love computer games, and most of them grew to love me, except Rainbow Island for the Atari which just grew more evil the better I got. When I bought it for my DS, after it was re-realsed I showed my dad, who ran upstairs yelling, "AHHHHH NOOOOOO!"

Rainbow Island was the one game that ended up in the bin so many times I lost count, and yet we'd always fish it out, before anything that could damge it went in there, we were adicted even back then...

And I belive it went something more like this;

"Dad? Do you remember Rainbow Island for the Atari?"

"Yes?" I had to stop myself from laughing at the wary look he got.

"Look what I got."

"AHHHHHHHHHH! NOOOOOOOOOOOO! KEEP IT AWAY!"

Nowadays you wouldn't find me dead without the lastest Nintendo Console but when I first started playing games, the fat red plumber annoyed me so much I ignored Nintendo altogether, right up until about eight nine years ago when Pokemon Red and Blue came out. A fat Italian guy who yells muma mia and jumps around making weird noises, was no where near as cool as the super fast, blue hedgehog that I am still a complete fan of today. Sonic the Hedgehog could take Mario down before you could say Chilli Dog, run circles round Bowser and still have time to save the World from Dr Robotnik, (Now Dr Eggman, which if you read the comics like me, is understandable), and chill out with his best bro, Miles J Prowler, or Tails as everyone knows him.

Since being introduced to Nintendo, I have been introduced to the worlds of Ledgend of Zelda, Pokemon, and many more, though the fat red plumber still annoys me a lot. How does he fit down those tubes anyway? Surley he'd get stuck at some point...

Hmmm, I guess I was probably nine when I really started playing games, and from there I went from small games to very very large ones like Final Fantasy and Tomb Raider, you have to love both series, though I am a little worried about work in the future after I heard that the company that makes Tomb Raider, fired everyone who worked on Tomb Raider, Angel of Darkness after the game was a huge dissapointment to the fans and sparked a public outrage that ruined the company's rep for years until Tomb Raider, Ledgends was released, proving that they still can make good games.

Hmmm, what would I class as my favourate game at the moment, I think that's pretty easy, the Kingdom Hearts series, Kingdom Hearts (PS2), Kingdom Hearts; Chain of Memories (Gameboy Advance, but I played it on my Nintendo DS), and most recently, though Dave disagrees, Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2).

I love the storyline and the action and the adventure and the... I love it all really. I'm a person who likes her games to have plots as opposed to just going around running people over or beating the rubbish out of people (though I won't deny I do love Super Smash Bros Melee), you'll find only one or two racing games in my collection at Uni, and that would both be Crash Team Racing titles, the rest are probably almost all action/adventure/rpgs.

I guess that's all i wanna say right now, I have work soon and i don't want to sleep through my alarm, oh, other then I've had to put my real name in my profile name, but I still prefer Joey, it's just to make life easier for the tutor.

Oh, and I've posted two new fanfics, both one shots (meaning only one chapter) but if you haven't finished Kingdom Hearts 2, don't read them, the link is further down the page.

See ya soon,

Joey.

No comments: