Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Week 9 - Introduction to Games Technology

Ok, I am really, really behind for more then one reason so I won't list them here.

This Charizard's wings have been injured for a while, but now she's ready to fly again.

So no witty starts, just the task at hand.

Games Technology is completly different now to how it was back in 1967, I have a feeling that if you'd told people then what games today would be like they'd have called you a liar and disbelieved you. The first video game console to work on a TV was called a Brown Box and was invented by Ralph Baer, originally only released with a 'chase' game which showed two squares chasing each other across the screen.

Now if we want a chase scene we have to think about what the two characters look like, and where they are running and what it looks like and if there are any spectators...

See the difference?

This was controled by a box with knobs that you twisted and the squares changed direction.

Nowadays if you want a dude to change direction on screen you just move a joystick.

I think it's very funny that the gaming industry has come full circle, since some of the earliest games systems (The Atari) were controlled using a joystick.

http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101050523/console_timeline/

Gives a time line of consoles and I have been rather suprised to find that the Playstation, which became a stable part of my gaming diet, came out over ten years ago... very scary. I was seven years old when it came out, SEVEN!!!!! Gah!

It was funny though to see that buttons are begining to fade out, replaced by joysticks and movement sensors. Games now are completly different from back then, after nearly 40 years games have reached the point where the games look practically real.

A long way from the brick of the Brown Box and it's squares.

Ergonomics have been important in attracting new gamers, the PS One, the little white PS attracted more crowds then the huge grey brick that was the original Playstation, the Gamecube's simple looks attracted more then the black PS2 brick that has recently become the PS2 Slimline.

The weird PS3 controller, is not half as attractive as the nuchucks of the Nintendo Wii, how I want one of those.

As regards to which controller was the easiest to use, while I am a big fan of the Gamecube, I have to say that it's controller wasn't the easiest to use, I do love the controller of the PS2, which is simple and really really easy to use, you just havr to love it really.

In looks for consoles, the Nintendo DS wins. The little handheld looks amazing, and all it's features are brillient, touch screen anyone?

I own a pink one, muahahaha.

And a Slimline PS2, and a Black Gamecube, and a PSP (not as good as my DS) and my pink DS.

A joypad isn't a dying breed I don't think, until they can develop reasonable technology that allows for total emersion in the game. I think the joypad has a long life ahead of it.

No comments: